1451 Barrington Street Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 1Z2
The Government House was home to Nova Scotia's first ever lieutenant governor Sir John Wentworth and his family. The new Government House was erected in 1800, and was meant to replace its former location that is the present day Province House. All the royal and viceroyal affairs happening in Canada took place in the building, with a multitude of parties, luncheons, speaking matters, dinners and receptions too. The Government House is considered as North America's oldest occupied government residence, with an urban setting amidst a beautiful Victorian landscape. Although the house is not open to the public, its prominence is noted carefully through its symmetrical stone exteriors, with two side wings, carriage house, and surrounding formal gardens. Thomas Raddal even wrote a novel dedicated to the Government House, which he entitled "The Governor's Lady".
Contact Government House of Nova Scotia for admission rates and other price details.
Phone: (902) 424-7001
Fax: (902) 424-1790
Email: [email protected]
School and Group Tours available.
Contact Government House of Nova Scotia for reservations and other enquiries.
Each tour has a maximum of 12 people.
No parking is available at Government House.
There is street parking available on Barrington Street, Bishop Street and Hollis Street.
Disabled parking is available on Barrington Street in front of Government House. Public washroom facilities are also available.